Colon and rectal surgery is a major areas of specialization within Columbia Surgical Associates.
The field of colorectal surgery encompasses a wide range of disorders. The physicians offer surgical treatment for the following:
- Very common and annoying disorders, such as hemorrhoids,
- Serious medical conditions, such as diverticulitis and inflammatory bowel disease, and
- Life-threatening diseases, such as colorectal cancer, the second leading cause of cancer death in this country.
While traditional (open) surgery is an option for treatment of these disorders, Columbia Surgical Associates has been able to offer the majority of their patients less invasive procedures that result in less pain and a shorter recovery.
Minimally Invasive Techniques
The surgeons introduced the technique of laparoscopic colorectal surgery to mid-Missouri in 1991 and currently offer other minimally invasive techniques, including
- transanal endoscopic microsurgery,
- hand-assisted laparoscopic surgery,
- and combined laparoscopy and colonoscopy to avoid major incisions.
The group recently began offering robotic-assisted laparoscopic surgery for certain conditions.
Multi-disciplinary Care for Colon and Rectal Cancer
A special emphasis throughout the history of Columbia Surgical Associates has been the treatment of cancer, and the surgeons offer patients multi-disciplinary care for colon and rectal cancer. In-office transrectal ultrasound studies of rectal cancer facilitates and expedites a patient's initial evaluation, and patient care is coordinated with medical and radiation oncology colleagues.