In 1993, Dr. James Pitt joined Columbia Surgical Associates.
- A native of Iowa, he graduated from Northeast Missouri State University and attended Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine where he received his doctorate in 1988.
- Served his internship and general surgery residency at Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Is board-certified in general surgery, a fellow of the American College of Surgeons and a fellow of the American College of Osteopathic Surgeons
- When he joined Columbia Surgical, Pitt opened an office in Osage Beach, Mo, and built a large general surgery practice
- Helped Lake Ozark General Hospital attain trauma center designation and introduced advanced laparoscopic procedures to that institution
- Served as chairman of the Surgery Department of Lake of the Ozarks General Hospital from 1994-'96
- Joined his partners in the Columbia office in 2000 where he has led the development of a bariatric surgery program (surgery for weight loss) at Boone Hospital, which offers laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding, laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy, and laparoscopic gastric bypass
- Anti-reflux surgery
- Hernia surgery
- Laparoscopic minimally invasive surgery