Columbia Surgical Associates established Columbia Bariatric Associates in 2001 to provide safe and effective metabolic and bariatric surgical services for the treatment of morbid obesity.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 34.9% of adults in the United States are obese, and weight loss for some is elusive. There are various surgical options available, such as gastric banding surgery, gastric sleeves, and gastric balloons.
LAP-BAND Adjustable Gastric Banding System
In 2004, the bariatric surgeons at Columbia Surgical began using the LAP-BAND Adjustable Gastric Banding System, which was approved by the FDA in 2001. Through the use of laparoscopic techniques, a small band is fitted around the upper stomach thereby restricting the amount of food consumed and helping patients feel fuller.
- As this procedure is intended to be a lifetime procedure, the band is monitored by the surgeon indefinitely after the procedure to ensure that optimal performance occurs.
- This procedure is more than twice as safe as the gastric bypass, and as a result, Columbia Bariatric Associates abandoned gastric bypass surgeries in 2007.
The gastric sleeve and gastric balloon are also available for patients looking for weight-loss options. The gastric sleeve reduces the size of the stomach, thereby restricting the amount of food a person can eat. A minimally invasive procedure, the gastric sleeve allows a patient to feel fuller quicker and doesn’t require an implanted device like the gastric band.
Approved for use by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration in 2015, the newest option is the gastric balloon.
- A small silicone balloon is inserted into the stomach through the mouth, then filled with a saline solution.
- The presence of the balloon gives patients the feeling of fullness so they are not inclined to overeat.
- The balloon is typically deflated and removed after four to six months.
Columbia Bariatric Associates holds informational seminars on gastric banding surgery. It may be an option if you are morbidly obese and have not been able to lose weight with other methods.